At a recent doctor's appointment, we found out the sex of our baby. At first, our thought was that we still weren't going to tell anyone, even though we knew. I mistakenly made a comment on facebook that my mom honed in on like a hawk. Then, she started giving me a hard time about it all, so John and I discussed how we wanted to reveal the gender. We put a plan in place, but it wasn't going to take place until Christmas. My mom has been convinced we are having a boy, and after this recent development started to give me a hard time. At first, she told me she was going to buy me a bunch of things for what she thought we were having. Then, she changed her mind, and said she thought it was a boy, so she was going to buy a bunch of pink things, and our little boy would have to wear pink. While John and I were getting dressed to go, I realized that we were both wearing blue shirts. I knew my mom would zero in on that for sure, and think we were sending a message. So, we decided to play a little game of our own. We stopped at Wal-Mart, and bought a $5 pink shirt. It was a ladies shirt, but all we could find. So, we showed up for Christmas dressed in pink and blue, and told my mom we were ok with boys wearing pink. She didn't think it was quite as funny as we did, but a bunch of other people got a chuckle out of it! We had fun hanging out with family for the afternoon, including the traditional White Elephant gift exchange. There were some fun things this year, and we actually came away with something useful. I traded for an opened package of pull-ups, which my aunt Diane said they had only used a few. I figure we will need them at some point, so why not get a head start??
John's parents were the only ones of his family in town for Christmas, so we had a low-key get together with them on the 22nd. They came over to our house for dinner and to exchange gifts. We had a nice time visiting with them, and ended the evening packing to leave the next day.
Again, we were fortunate enough to spend a long weekend with my family for Christmas. John's restaurant closed on the 23rd and the 26th, so we were able to head out of town. We left early on the 23rd and made it to La Vernia early in the afternoon. We had a lot of time to spend with my family - eating, playing games, eating, watching football, eating, exchanging gifts, eating, talking, and did I mention eating? It was nice to just relax and hang out, as we know next year will be far different for us! It was different for us to have Kassie here with us this year. In the past, the only times we have seen John's girls for Christmas is when we have traveled abroad. I think it was a very different experience for Kassie to see so much family at the holidays.
My family's get-together was on the 26th. My brother Scott had to work Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, so we did our Christmas when everyone could be there. We had a fun time, and had our own White Elephant exchange. I think Emily enjoyed it the most, because every gift was for her - or at least in her mind. Every time someone picked a gift to open, they would ask her to help and she would say "another present for Emily." I don't think she noticed that she left with far less gifts than she actually opened.
We had a great time, and many times pondered how on Earth we will make this trip next year, when we will have much more stuff to pack. Even with a decent sized SUV, we had to cram stuff in. Our dogs are really going to start cramping our style!! We might have to start saving now for the cost of boarding them.
I've definitely got a baby belly now



No comments:
Post a Comment