We were able to spend all of Thanksgiving weekend with my family this year. Where John is working right now is only open Monday - Friday, and they were closed Thanksgiving day and the day after. So, we were able to go out of town for a long weekend, which was really nice. Kassie and I were off the whole week from school. I had a Dr. appointment on Monday afternoon, so Kassie and I loaded up our stuff and the dogs on Tuesday morning and headed out to La Vernia where my mom and stepdad live. John had to work Wednesday, and so did my brother Todd. So, they were planning to ride together Wednesday evening.
During the day Wednesday, my mom and I went on a hunt for baby bedding patterns and material. I got an idea in my head of how I wanted to decorate the nursery, and I just wasn't finding anything that really suited those ideas. I actually found some bedding that someone was selling on Craigslist that I really liked, and was gender neutral (which was one of my necessities). They didn't live close to us at all, but I arranged with the guy for John and I to drive out there after a Saturday event at my school at the end of October. I told the guy I had a commitment in the morning, and it would be 2:00 or so before we could make it out there. We had this all worked out on Friday, and on Saturday, just as we were headed that way, I checked my email and the guy sent an email saying they were leaving for the day at 1:00. I was so ticked off, that I just wouldn't even make plans to try and meet them again. From our house to theirs would probably be close to an hour trip, and even though he was the one that changed the plans, he wasn't willing to meet anywhere even a little bit closer. So, I gave up on that and decided I would figure something else out. My mom and I found a couple of different patterns - I liked different things from each one. We also found materials in the colors I wanted, that we think will be really cute together. I really needed to get that done on this trip, because I wanted to paint the nursery over my Christmas break, and I needed material to match paint colors. I knew it would be much easier to match paint to material I already had, rather than the other way around. It was a long day, but we accomplished our mission, and then headed back to the house to start our Thanksgiving cooking.
Todd and John hit a lot of traffic problems heading out of Houston, and instead of a 3 hour trip from our house, it was more like 4, or a little more. They finally made it, and we of course sat up talking and playing a game, as is typical when my family gets together. Thursday morning, we were all up early, getting ready to head to Elgin. My mom's family was getting together at the Lutheran church in Elgin where my aunt and uncle go to church. My grandpa lives in a little house right next to the church, and we didn't want him to have to travel far. We had a delicious meal, and lots of time to visit with family that we don't see often enough.
The church playground was the desired location for the family's youngest members, my niece Emily and my youngest cousin Kyndall. It was a little chilly that day, but nice and sunny, and hard to keep those girls inside. John and I had that moment of realization that next Thanksgiving, we will be toting our own little bundle around. We certainly had so much to be thankful for this year. We always cherish time with our families, and this year we are of course so thankful for the life growing inside me.
We left the church in time to make the trip back to La Vernia for THE game of the day - the last Longhorn-Aggie game for the forseeable future. I can remember watching this game from very early on in my childhood, so it was a little sad that this will be the end for now. It wasn't a pretty game on either side of the ball, but Texas came out on top, and that's what is most important!!
We had a fantastic weekend with family, and can't wait for next year!
Emily wanted to swing with Kassie



No comments:
Post a Comment