Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Surprising Gran

When we had lunch with Gramps and Gran on Monday, Gran had no idea that we had been working for a few weeks on a plan to surprise her.  We had checked our calendars to find a time we could go to La Vernia for a few days, so Gran could have some Kinley time.  I had coordinated everything with Bob, and several other people knew we were coming, and planned to come out to visit while we were there, too.

I knew it was going to take a lot to back a newborn to go on a trip for several days, but I didn't know how nerve-wracking it would be for me, to make sure I was remembering every little thing we might need.  I did well, though, and had everything ready to go (in the car even) as soon as John came home from work.  Gramps and Gran had bowling Saturday evening, so we planned to leave our house by 2:00 so we could get there before they had to leave.  I strategically planned Kinley's feedings, so I could feed her right before we left, and hopefully she would make it most of the way there before we had to eat.  We actually got out of the house a little earlier than planned, and got on the road.

All ready for my first road trip


Our sweet little baby slept the whole way!  We stopped at Buc-ee's in Luling so we could go to the bathroom, and this is about the time I figured Kinley would need to eat.  I sat in the back at that point, and fed her a little bit, but the car lulled her right back to sleep.  Once we got to the house, our plan was to leave Kinley on the doorstep and hide.  It was so funny!  I wish I had taken video, instead of trying to take pictures, because it would have caught the reaction so much better.  Oh well . . . maybe next time.  We had let Bob know what we were going to do, so he could send her to answer the door.  She was putting on her shoes at the time, and he had a hard time getting her to come to the door.  Once she did, though, she was in total shock!  It was fun to watch.

 Daddy leaving some precious cargo on the doorstep


Surprise, Gran!!


We had a great few days just hanging out, meeting more family (a separate post), eating good food, and just enjoying sharing our baby girl.  Unfortunately our last night there, Gramps and Gran got food poisoning (we think from salad) at Clear Springs, so it put a little damper on our last day there.  It didn't keep Gran from cuddling her little Kinley, though. 

Our trip back was not quite as smooth.  We didn't make it as far as I hoped we would before Kinley wanted to eat.  I got in the back with her, but the angle of the car seat in the base makes it hard to feed her a bottle.  We eventually just had to pull over so I could take her out and finish feeding her.  We made it the rest of the way home without incident.  It was a fun trip, and I'm glad we went!

No comments: